Monday, January 27, 2014

After the Weekend

 So, about that regular post schedule I mentioned.  Now that the fever is long gone and I feel like myself again, I'm ready to roll out with the photos and share some cute!

Cricket is still sans wig, but she's rockin' that ribbon.


 Since this is my first "After the Weekend" post, I'll just go ahead and explain my reasoning behind the title.  As I mentioned in my previous post,  I work full time.  I do, however, have the weekends off, so those are the days when I'm most likely to go into "crafting overload" and take big steps on projects, or head out on shopping trips to search for pretties for my dolls.  It's also when I have the time to head to my parents' place to pick up my packages.  Oh, and about that.  I live in an apartment and I don't trust the office here to keep my long awaited goodies safe.  Luckily, my parents live in a house and don't mind being the friendly middlemen.

Wow, that went offtrack quickly.  Alright, back to the title.  I wanted a reason to post regularly on Mondays, and since I was likely to share what happened over the weekend anyway, "After the Weekend" was born.

So, what did I do this weekend?  Other than the usual non-dolly stuff, Tony and I got to walk around my holy grail of crafting goodness, otherwise known as Hobby Lobby, and I purchased a small mountain of accessories for Cricket from their doll house miniatures section.  I plead crazy with a side of 15% off, Your Honor.

Unfortunately, I do not yet have photos of my spree from this past weekend.  That will have to happen sometime later this week.  I do, however, have the beginnings of a slew of pictures from previous hauls to share, which weren't posted earlier due to my bed swallowing my sick self whole for a few weeks.  Once again, I feel I must ask for your patience, as I'm trying to go in chronological order here.  Granted, this is mostly for my own sanity as I get everything organized.

First Dolly Haul of December (2013): Auntie Em's Miniatures

When Xhanthi and I were initially corresponding back and forth, she mentioned a miniatures store that she used to frequent when she lived in Arizona once upon a time called Auntie Em's Miniatures.  Curious, I of course went to check it out and was pleasantly surprised.  It's a small store with an antique shop feel, but it's crammed with diorama supplies and doll miniatures galore.  They do favor the smaller scales, with 1/12 scale in abundance, so someone like myself who's looking for 1/6 scale has to be willing to search.  But search I did, and treasures were found!

My favorite part about this haul?  Hands down, Cricket's leather satchel.  Considering the eye boggling prices on some of the merchandise (the accessories and other miniatures were rather steep, whereas the diorama supplies were much more reasonably priced), I wasn't expecting this little bag to be as affordable as it was and it turned out to be the perfect size for Cricket.  Happiness all around!

Cricket: "Why is everything in see-through baggies?"
Me: "We're protecting them for your garden, dear."
Cricket: "The presents I understand, but the leaves and pine cones?"
Me: "You'll see when it all comes together."

The Second Dolly Haul of December (2013): Factory Direct Craft

Browsing online for Cricket has become one of my favorite pastimes, and December was no exception.  Etsy has drawn me in like a bee to spring flowers, but before I started drooling over the multitude of temptations to be found there, Tony introduced me to Factory Direct Craft.  When I discovered their Fairy Garden Miniatures section, I had a hard time narrowing my order down to just what I should buy and what could wait for later.  Too much good stuff!

Cricket: "More baggies, huh?"
Me: "Patience.  We're actually opening them up this time."

Me: "See?  Isn't it pretty?"
Cricket: "I guess so.  This chair needs a cushion, though."
Me:  "Oh, come on.  You don't think the stepping stones are pretty?  They're brightly colored!"
Cricket: "Who's the mouse?"

Me:  "Cricket, the stones?"
Mouse: "Squeak?"
Cricket: "Oh no you don't!  These are mine."
Me:  *sigh*  "Always with the jars.."

The Third Dolly Haul of December (2013): Hobby Lobby

 I've frequented Jo-Anne's and Micheal's in the past for my craft fixes, but never before had I perused the hallowed aisles of Hobby Lobby until this past December.  I know I'm making them out to be a big deal, however, the amount of affordable goodies under one roof there left quite the impression on me.  Their daily 40% off one regularly priced item coupon didn't hurt, either.

Me: "You seem a bit more excited about this haul, Cricket."
Cricket: "Hey, that stuff for the garden was great, but did you see these birds?  Actual birds!"
Cricket: "Hello.  Don't be scared.  I'm a friend."
Me:  T_T  "So. Cute."
Cricket:  "Ooo!  Empty jars this time?  Perfect!"  *runs off to where she's stashed her other jars*
Me: "Again with the jars.  Don't you want to play with the birdies again, Cricket? ... Cricket?"
 Well, it looks like Cricket is off to putter about with her alchemy.  Which reminds me, I need to get her some more ingredients, or else my room's going to end up smelling like roasted cashews and cotton candy again.

Before I close up this post, I'm going to promise to share the information about Cricket's outfit in these pictures later this week.  I'm not doing so at this moment because I want to include an accompanying picture of the other outfit I purchased from the same Etsy shop.  So, for now, thanks for checking in on Cricket and I, and may you have a blessed start to your week!

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing photos of people's hauls, you found some amazing stuff for your girl. Shopping and crafting are the best parts of the hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate, you made my day! :) I apologize for the late reply, and I agree. Cricket has definitely reawakened my love for both activities. <3

      Delete